Information systems engineering
Field of study: Technological Sciences
Study area: Informatics Engineering
Qualification awarded: Bachelor of Computer Science
Language of instruction: Lithuanian
Information systems engineering is a collection of competencies in mathematics, business, program systems, databases, data analytics with modern technologies such as virtualization, cloud computing, social networks and security. Information systems engineering is not only a resonant three-word collection but also a capability to control the world. The system possesses the properties that are absent in it composing elements. Engineering is a branch of science that applies practical activity knowledge of physics, chemistry, mathematics, material science, mathematical modelling, economics in various spheres of technology: devices, machines and other facilities in the design of technological systems and processes, in their creation and adjustment (debugging). Information systems engineering is a broader level of knowledge, abilities, and research for fans of informatics and that wishing to take an active part in the global processes of technological progress.
The aim of this programme is to prepare high qualification specialists of information system engineering, able to define the goal of information systems creation and renovation, to project and develop modern information systems, and to apply the competencies gained in decision analysis, usage of innovative technologies, integration, as well as research performance and data analytics. The gained knowledge, abilities, and competencies will enable an easy adaptation to a constant technological progress, successful employment, and striving for a professional career or graduate studies.
- The programme is exceptionally oriented to knowledge of business processes, analytics, programme development and technology application in solving problems, arising for business enterprises.
- A unique content of the programme: two practices after 10 and 15 credits at the end of studies; up to 60 credits of selective subjects that allow us to get a deeper insight into programming, multimedia, data processing and business process analysis issues, and training and application of know-how in practice, which is guarantee of successful career in a modern enterprise.
- Lecturers of the programme are constantly improving, pursuing teaching practice work in projects, performing research in business and project management, artificial intelligence, optimization, higher performance computations, and in audio-visual signal recognition spheres.
After finishing the programme of these studies, there open possibilities for an excellent career. Graduate students after finishing the study programme can work as:
- Software developers (Java, C#, C++, C, etc.);
- Architects of business processes and business systems (AutomationAnywhere, BPMN, RoboTask, etc.);
- Specialists of artificial intelligence solutions and big data analytics (Cloudera, Amazon, etc.);
- Specialists of audio-visual (multimedia) signal processing (OpenCV, Smile, Google Cloud, etc.);
- Application developers for smart devices (Android, iOS, Windows).
Students can spend a part of their studies at foreign universities if the subjects studied at foreign universities are suited to the aims of the studied programme and can be integrated into it. Students will be offered opportunities to use such exchange programmes as Erasmus+ and that proposed by VU bilateral agreements. The initiative of freely mobile students will also be simulated when students themselves find a university that accepts them for partial studies as well as the necessary financing. All the subjects to be studied by a student abroad should be coordinated with a coordinator of the Institute Erasmus studies. Information about possibilities to participate in the exchange programmes will be presented on the websites of the Institute (http://www.mii.lt) and VU International Relations Office (http://www.vu.lt/tarptautiniai-rysiai/).
Due to the content of studies and development of necessary competencies, now the contacts with enterprises “Visma”, “Tieto”, “Adform” have been made and there is a close collaboration with representatives of the “Western Union” and “BAIP Group” enterprises. During the studies, the representatives of enterprises (social partners) will be actively included into the process of preparing high-qualified specialists, while the competence of VU lecturers and the present technical basis will ensure the necessary synergy to achieve the goals of the studies programme.